I’ve been cozyfying our living room lately. These curtains have been about 6 weeks in the works, as I kept running out of fabric. But here they finally are, fully trimmed and adding some cheer to yet another snowy day.
I set out to make a shower curtain, but Liz loved the fabric so much that she suggested I put it in a more visible place. I’m glad she convinced me to do this, as I spent way more time and money on this project than I care to divulge (or even think about). It all started when I came across a bundle of “fat quarters” in a fabric line called “Bella” designed by Lotta Jansdotter for Windham Fabrics. I couldn’t resist the colour combos and happy prints, so I bought the bundle.
A curtain is supposed to be the easiest thing to sew. All you do is cut out a rectangle, finish the edges, and hem it with a wide enough slot at the top for a curtain rod (or if you don’t remember to do that, you can buy handy clips to suspend the curtain).
Count on me to make it more complicated. I was initially inspired by this post on Design Sponge to make a simple shower curtain. This post features directions to use French seams, which result in a neat, no-raw-edges finish, but also requires literally twice as much sewing and figuratively 300 times as much time. If I had used larger pieces of fabric, this would have gone a lot faster, but I cut out fairly small patches and had no choice but to sew them back together once I’d made the cuts. They certainly do look sharp!
In retrospect, I could have sewn all the pieces together with a serger to leave the seams exposed, then simply sewn a muslin backing as a sheer-ish layer. As it is, they cover the windows nicely for privacy, but still let in the light.
Once I finished sewing all the blocks together, I felt like the curtains needed something to contain them visually, so I got some light grey broadcloth to use for side trim and hems. This slightly reduces the busyness, and I love how it looks against the cantaloupe-coloured walls.